HKTag has selected Rugby Coach and ex-Queensland Oztag representative, James Elliot, to lead the Hong Kong Tag Rugby International squad to the 2018 Tag World Cup.
James Elliot is an Australian PE teacher and sports coach, specialised in rugby, track and field, and strength and conditioning. He began playing Oztag in 1993 on the Gold Coast and represented Queensland 1996-1998 in the Australian Oztag league. The Queensland team made the finals of the National Championships at Runaway Bay in 1998.
Currently High School PE Teacher at the American International School (AIS) Elliot has direct experience with young athletes, coaching them to reach State, National and World class levels. He focuses on speed training and, outside of school, trains a group of young runners working on speed and sprinting technique for their future benefits in all sports.
Elliot coached Hong Kong Premiership Rugby Union side, Valley Ladies, 2016-2017, and last season took a wider role acting as speed and technique coach to Valley rugby, hockey and netball players.
Returning to his Oztag roots since arriving in Hong Kong, James has been a regular player, referee and volunteer with HKTag. His AIS tag rugby team, Hashtags, has brought youth and enthusiasm to HKTag events and recently won the Plate Final at the 2018 HKTag Challenge.
- 1993 – 1998 State Track & Field Representative – Gold & Silver State Relay Championships
- 1996 – 1998 Oztag Representative – Queensland, Australia
- 1998 – 2008 U18 Central Queensland District rugby union and Track & Field Coach (National & Oceania Championships)
- 2010 – 2013 Shanghai Rugby Club Captain (multiple national and regional trophies)
- 2014 Gold Coast Select team (vs. Australian Deaf Rugby Team) – Gold Coast, Australia
- 2014 Valley Rugby Club Player of the Year Award (1000+ points in a season) – Hong Kong
- 2016 (to present) PE Teacher and Track & Field Coach, American International School – Hong Kong
- 2017 Hong Kong women’s rugby Coach of the Year Award (HKRU)
Hong Kong Tag World Cup Trials
The selection process is now underway for the Hong Kong Tag World Cup International Squad. The first trials take place Sunday 17 June, 8pm, at Happy Valley Pitch 6.
James Elliot will be supported throughout the selection and training period by coach Ringo Lung, who currently captains the Hong Kong rugby league national team – Hong Kong Thunder.